Friday, February 15, 2013

And Then There Were Crickets...

It's a commonly known fact of publishing that the business moves at the speed of turtles.
Not even turtles, snails.
Not even snails...
Does it even move?

In a world of what's hot, and what's not, there's a ton of 'hurry up and wait,' and the in-between times can be pretty hard to take.

Hurry up and finish that novel - because all the agents are requesting manuscripts JUST like it!
So you hurry up and finish, and query - and wait for months for the agents to get back to you.
And by the time they get back to you?
Yeah, nobody wants that kind of MS anymore.

Same goes for submissions.

Hurry, hurry, hurry...
Wait, wait, wait...

So, what is a shark like me supposed to do?

I don't sit still well.

I'm always working on something.
I can't just write one book without thinking of the next one.

I can't just concentrate on one aspect of the business and ignore the rest.
I don't have tunnel vision.
I don't want tunnel vision.

I want what's next.  I want to write one book while marketing the last.  I want to edit one book while writing another.

I'm almost done with my Sci Fi and I'm already thinking of how to rewrite the ghost mystery, debating whether or not to release another e-novella, and coming up with picture book ideas.

I CAN'T STOP!

Me: the shark - Must...keep...moving!

The problem with that?

Nobody in this business moves that fast.
Not a soul.

I'm running laps around myself trying to keep from getting bored and the slow-paced traditional business hasn't even discovered me yet.

I was out of commission for a week with the flu, and I thought I was going to die from boredom.

PLEASE!
Would somebody put me to work?
PLEASE?

And then there were crickets...

No comments:

Post a Comment